Fencing isn’t cheap. However, it doesn’t need to be that way if you have the right approach. You can make your fence without bankrupting yourself and even beautify it or get additional functionality out of it with minimal investment. If you want your fence to be built by professionals, you can search for “fencing company near me”. Let’s check out how you can get the most out of your backyard fence.
- Add plants to your slatted fence – A slatted fence is surprisingly cheap to make. You can cut down on construction costs even more if you stick to softwood for building material. So, if you’re looking to raise a tall privacy fence without going over budget, the slatted fence is the best option. Moreover, with a slatted fence, you don’t have to go overboard with privacy. The small gaps partially block prying eyes while allowing a relaxing breeze. You get the sense of an open environment without compromising too much on privacy.
Moreover, the gaps on a slatted fence allow you to hang all kinds of accessories. Apart from lights and decorations, you can add a bit more life to your slatted fence by hanging potted plants. If you don’t want to suspend a potted plant directly, you can hang wooden shelves and place your potted plant on them. It makes for a chic and refreshing look and makes it especially worth it if you have a deck built along the slatted fence. You can also add more privacy to your slatted fence by adding climbers.
- Light it up – The one thing that always makes for an enjoyable and cozy ambiance are lights. Light features allow you to set the mood for any occasion, from date night to summer barbeques. There are numerous ways of incorporating lights into your fence. You can highlight certain areas of the fence with spotlights or hang rope lights from pickets. If you have a patio attached to a corner of the fence, you can get an incredibly cozy environment and create a warm ambiance with Edison light bulbs.
- Movie Theater – Vinyl fences have been growing in popularity in recent years and for all the right reasons. They are durable, inexpensive, and come in all sorts of colors, shapes, and textures. If you have a vinyl fence you can do a lot more than just bound the property line. A vinyl fence allows you to create a large home theater in the backyard.
If you have a sizable vinyl fence, the highly reflective surface is great for watching movies. Point your projector towards the fence, set up your home theater system and you’re good to go. You can create a unique outdoor home theater system and watch the latest movies from the comfort of your home. If you don’t want to watch a movie on the vinyl fence, you can use the fence as support for a thick white curtain or a screen fabric. Make sure the fabric is taut and tight for the best experience.
- Paint an existing fence – Sometimes painting an existing fence can instantly shoot up curb appeal. If you have an old fence that doesn’t look as good as it used to, painting is one of the cheapest ways to make it look better than it ever looked. As long as your wooden fence is rot free and sturdy enough, a new coat of exterior wood paint can make a lot of visual difference.
Before you begin painting the fence, make sure to clean off the dirt and algae with warm soapy water. Once it’s dry you can apply a few coats of your favorite color. If you have a modern garden, consider a black background color with some gray and white designs over it. You don’t need to be a skilled painter to pull off this job. You can make designs and patterns on the fence with all kinds of tools. From sponges to leaves, everything can be used as a stamp for your chosen paint.
- Get a corrugated fence – If you want your fence to stand out and make your backyard the most unique one in the neighborhood, install a corrugated fence. While corrugated metal is one of the cheapest construction materials on the market, it can pull off an amazing industrial look. Pair up a corrugated metal fence with festoons, vintage lamps, galvanized planters, and more. If you want to soften the look, you can add plenty of greenery at the front. However, make sure to check with the local HOA. Corrugated metal is far from a common choice as a fence material, and it may get some pushback from local authorities and regulations.
- Grow a living fence – You can build an amazing fence without investing close to nothing. While wooden and metal privacy fences are the norm, living hedge fences have been in existence for a very long time. The greatest advantage of a living fence is that with proper care, it can grow as tall as you want as long as you choose the right species. However, it takes a very long time and lots of effort to grow one.
If you don’t want a hedge fence, you can choose bamboo. You can create an Asian-themed garden and bamboo is the perfect choice as a fencing material. It allows you to create your own tiny paradise and exotic retreat without breaking the bank. Bamboo doesn’t just grow tall, it doesn’t require as much maintenance as a hedge fence. However, you need to be very careful with bamboo since it’s invasive. It can quickly take over your backyard. That’s why it’s best to restrict them in strong containers.
There are several ways of building and improving your fence and its surroundings while sticking to a modest budget. This allows you to get the most value out of your backyard fence. If you need professionals to build a fence for you,then you can hire them by searching for a “fencing company near me”.